PEST CONTROL SACRAMENTO AND ROSEVILLE: RODENTS – WHAT YOU CAN DO!
Rodents have been one of the major contributors to vector borne diseases in history. Everything from the black death that killed ¼ to 1/3 of the world’s population in Europe, to the third plague pandemic in China in 1855 that spread to India and killed over 10 million people. Fleas hitching rides on rodents have spread bubonic plague and other diseases.
Though such diseases are not rampant in developed countries like the U.S., illness is still always a concern. The three major rodents we deal with in Sacramento and Roseville are the Roof Rat, Norway Rat, and the House Mouse.
In a future blog, we will explore these rodents in more detail. What we really want to look at is what can homeowners do to minimize rodent activity around their homes? Here is an assortment of things you can do:
- Trim all vegetation away from the roof, walls, and fences.
- Stack firewood 18” off the ground and 18” away from the wall.
- Keep ivy, shrubs, and palm trees trimmed.
- Remove potential food sources such as uneaten pet food, ripe or fallen fruit.
- Keep pet food stored in tamper proof containers.
- Make sure shed door close properly and completely.
- Call a pest professional like North American Pest Management to come out and deal with any infestations in the house.
One of the biggest things a pest professional like North American Pest Management can do is seal up any potential entry points into the house to help keep rodents from entering. Even with things sealed, sometimes rodents can create new opening. Being on an ongoing maintenance program can cover these issues.
North American Pest Management has been controlling rodents in the greater Sacramento and Roseville areas for over 35 years. We are experts in what to look for when dealing with rodents as well as giving recommendations to homeowners about what they can do. Most importantly, we can solve your rodent or pest control needs.