FLEAS – PREPARING FOR THE TREATMENT
In last month’s blog, I gave information about fleas. Now we will focus on what the homeowner should do before and after the flea treatment.
Pest professionals require homeowner cooperation when it comes to getting rid of fleas. If you only have a pest company come in and treat without doing anything else, the treatment will fail.
Before Flea Treatment:
- Vacuum all rugs, carpets, and furniture – especially between and under cushions. Then, seal and dispose of the vacuum bag outside, or empty the canister into a garbage bag outside and seal the bag.
- Clear and clean all floors, even closets. Mop all tile and vinyl floors. Sweep all concrete floors.
- Remove all decorative items, pillows, pet food, water dishes, and children’s toys – be sure to check for items under the beds and furniture.
- Remove all pets. Fish bowls and aquariums may remain if properly covered and the air pump is shut off during treatment.
- Wash or dispose of all pet bedding. If laundering, wash pet bedding separately from other linens.
- Show your pest control professional where your pets sleep, rest, and eat.
After Flea Treatment:
- Wait for specific instructions from your pest control professional to find out when it is safe to return home.
- Wait to resume normal vacuuming 24 hours after the home has been treated to give the insecticide time to work.
- Continue vacuuming for 2-3 weeks at intervals of 3-4 days. The vacuum’s mechanical pressure will improve the effectiveness of the insecticide by stimulating unhatched fleas to emerge from their protective pupae cases.
- Expect to see some adult fleas for up to 3 weeks after treatment. Flea pupae are protected from insecticides by their cocoons. They will continue to emerge over a period of 1-3 weeks. Once exposed to the insecticide residual, they will be eliminated.
Remember, do not skip any of these tips if you wish to have a successful flea treatment.
North American Home Services has been providing pest control services to the greater Sacramento region for over 38 years. Each year, we complete thousands of services on residential and commercial buildings in Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado, Yolo and Solano counties. Our pest control staff is highly regarded, qualified and licensed by the California State. Whether it’s for cockroaches, bed bugs, ants, rats, mice or general pest control in the greater Sacramento area, North American Home Services can handle it. North American Home Services is a proud member in good standing of the Pest Control Operators of California.